Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Our New Family Member : Sophie





Sophie in the "get to know you room" at the shelter
Sophie finding a favorite spot to lay beneath my feet


Sophie taking it all in
Sophie is wore out!

It was almost spur of the moment...I've missed having a dog but didn't want a shedding, yappy, peeing in the house dog.
We first went to the Mustang Animal Shelter...no one was there.  Well, 4 other people wanting to go into the shelter were there but not employees. We waited about 30 minutes, no one came. We left.
Next I tried to call Pets and People in Yukon.  No answer. 
Ok, fine. I'll drive 30 minutes to the OKC shelter and have a look.
So we drove through the really bad area of town to come out on the other side at the shelter. I asked to see the dogs and the blue vs white card was explained to me.  And using the 'get to know you' rooms.  So we went in search of a dog.
First the boys saw a small white yappy dog. Male, 1 year old. It was a short hair chihuahua.  Very friendly.  But not quite what I was looking for.  So we continued.  Near the very back was a black and brindle medium size (though she actually fits into the large category somehow...I don't understand that since she is 25lbs, might get to 35lbs if we over feed her and I once had a dog that was 120lbs, that seems large...she seems more small to medium to me *shrugs*)
Her blue card said her name was Sophie.  She is 2 years old. Has been in the shelter since June and came in as a stray.  Another sheet was posted with her picture and some notes from the staff which said she was a favorite of the volunteers to walk, might be house broken.  She was also already spayed.  So we took Sophie to the 'get to know you room' and she didn't bark.  Didn't jump all over.  Came over for loving and gave kisses.  She did bark once when the yappy dog in the next room just.would.not.stop.
$30 later we brought her home. I walked her to the car and she jumped right in and sat down on the rear floorboard and that is where she stayed the whole ride, remember 25-30 minute ride.
Got her home and she explored the house and yard. I put water out for her and the boys and I went to Target to get food, bowls, leash, etc.  $88 later we came back home.  She stays very close to me.  Not sure if it's because I'm female or that I'm the one who took her out of the shelter and into the house.
Jerry got home and she was shy at first but eventually warmed up to him.  So we ate dinner and got her in the car to take her to PetSmart to get a harness and crate.  She did wonderful in the store.  Only barked once when a HUGE dog came suddenly around the corner. She was protecting us.  Got all her stuff plus a dog tag.  $120 Sophie should have everything she needs.
Zac saw the dog tag which has our last name on it and said "You're officially part of the family now."
Sophie sat nicely all the way home and sat with us in the living room as we were winding down for the night. I turned on the tv and she started looking for the sound...it dawned on me that she has never been in a house before.  
Sophie slept all night in her crate without a peep!
I took her for a walk this morning, around 3 miles. She did awesome!  She tried to protect us from our shadows when she looked behind us at one point.  It was hilarious.  We came home, she did her business outside and has been sleeping since.  
It's wonderful to not have to house train her.  She is such a good and sweet dog.  We did buy her a couple of toys but she has no real interest in them yet, she just wants love :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...