Monday, August 30, 2010

Frustrated...

First let me preface this (though this is MY blog and I can say whatever I want to) by saying that I don't mean to offend teachers or people who love their kids' teachers.

From day one, well, actually well before day one of kindergarten I have not clicked with Zachary's teacher. See, last year I started checking into the Kindergarten teachers at what would be Zachary's school to see what to expect and was not impressed. Two of the three teachers use Skittles as an incentive for behaving in class which I do not like at all. Then at back to school night, the am parent's were supposed to meet at 5:30 pm and the pm parents at 6:00pm; because 2 parents from the pm class showed up to the am class meeting the teacher went over pm procedures and routines and dismissed anything about the am class. This teacher also said that she updates her website at least weekly, which I know is a lie, I've been checking since early 2010 and she hasn't updated one of the pages since November 2009, one since Easter and there were never links to any homework. This teacher said that all homework was accessible on-line...no surprise, it's not.

So Zachary got his first "homework packet" sent home today. It consisted of 2 sheets of paper, one a note to the parents explaining that the homework should not take more than 15 minutes and the other a homework sheet. The instructions are so lousy and hard to understand it's horrible. Then there is a section that says to complete a "Mm" worksheet, so I e-mailed the teacher to ask about it since it was not sent home, she said they aren't doing those this year but she might send some home with other letters later in the year. WTH!?! So apparently M is an unimportant letter, why learn how to properly make it or get any practice with it. And if she wasn't going to use this worksheet why not cross that item off the sheet since she already had to write each kids' name on their paper so they could practice tracing it, it literally would have taken a fraction of a second to "X" it out. I'm not impressed with the lack of attention to detail. She seems like she just gets things done as fast as possible without caring. She's been teaching for 29 years, 28 of those as a Kindergarten teacher at Valley, maybe she's worn out but if she is she just needs to retire.

If I knew that we were staying at this house I'd go to the office and have Zachary moved to another class or go to the district and have him transferred to another school but I don't want to do that now when we could be moving in the next month or two. He's already made a good friend in class and I don't want to disrupt him more than once. So I guess I get to be frustrated with his teacher until at least October, then we should know if we're staying or moving and I'll be able to decide what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...